- This event has passed.
AIARE REC 1 Course – Maroon Hut
February 8 - February 10$425
This course covers all the information in a standard American Institute for Avalanche Education and Research (AIARE) Level 1 Course, but uses a real backcountry ski hut for a classroom! Class sizes are smaller and more intimate in hut-based courses and you have the added advantage of being able to apply your new knowledge immediately . The Maroon Hut in Gothic Colorado (located just outside of Crested Butte) is a mellow 4 mile ski from the trail head. The Maroon Hut has raised the bar for backcountry lodging and includes heat, electricity, running water and outhouse facilities.
- How to prepare and plan for a backcountry tour
- How to analyze an avalanche forecast
- How to identify avalanche terrain & avalanche types
- How to recognize hazardous conditions
- Basic snow pack understanding
- Route selection and terrain features
- Snowpack tests and interpretation
- Educated decision making
- Basic rescue techniques
- Group management
- Inclusions: AIARE Level 1 Course Manual, AIARE Field Book, AIARE Level 1 certificate upon successful completion of course.
- Exclusions: Lodging, food, avalanche safety gear, backcountry touring gear.*
- A detailed equipment list will be provided upon course registration.
- Suggested Reading: Snow Sense: A Guide to Evaluating Snow Avalanche Hazard, by Fredston & Fesler
- After successful completion of the AIARE Level 1 Rec Course students can further their education with AIARE Avalanche Rescue Course and AIARE Level 2 Rec Course.
*Avalanche safety gear and backcountry touring set-ups and be rented for an additional fee.